Edible arrangement

Untitled
Recently I drove up to Connecticut to spend a day with my pal Frances Palmer. I've told you about her before, and my admiration is unchanged. Her work is still deeply inspiring and her friendship even more so. (And that's a lot.) 

She made me an astronomically delicious lunch, and we sipped wine and poked around in her garden. I clipped some treats and while she worked on the wheel, I arranged in her vases. We talked about business and boys, the importance of bookkeepers and the class we want to teach together in November. Having creative, successful women to encourage you, well, it's everything.
Untitled
Untitled Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled  Untitled Untitled
 
Her garden was rioting with heirloom tomatoes and the first of the season's dahlias. I was struck with how the warm colors coordinated so darn nicely with the new oxblood colored pots Frances has been throwing. Her porcelain work is always top tier and I'm particularly struck by these new ones. The color is so good for flowers. She said the glazing process is quite challenging, the color is created by copper and often comes out to the kiln with a mottled effect. 

This one is amazing, and I'm going to dream about that dahlia for weeks to come. See more of them here. When I left, she loaded my truck up with a bucket of dahlias and a brown paper bag of tomatoes. Bunches of lemon verbena and a handmade vase. I pinched myself as I drove back home- I'm truly lucky and not just because she stuffed me with homemade caramel ginger ice cream. But she did that too, and wow, I'm still reeling.

35 comments:

  1. i look forward to your new entries all the time, eating up the pictures, your work and words greedily, smiling big... Your a good woman and person, and wish our paths had crossed while I was back in NYC. continue to be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those tomatoes look SO GOOD! what a garden...(and as cheesy as it sounds, what a woman!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beatiful foto!!!!

    http://blondeandvanilla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful arrangement!! I wish my dalhias looked like that but mine were beaten down by a hailstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tragic! Frances is really great at staking them with tomato cages when she replants the tubers each spring but not sure even that could save a plant from a hail storm.

      Delete
  5. I can't single out a photo , it's all gorgeousness here- For some reason I have always dreamed of growing dalhias. Thank you for this post- I will put it in my pocket and take it out if I am feeling blue;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images - thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such a fantastic time I can't even believe!

    xoxo Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a floral arrangement out of stuff from around the yard last week. And when I stepped back to look at it I realized that I've been learning little tips from you (maybe due to my obsession with your blog?) - so .. Just know that there is a kitchen table somewhere in Michigan that looks a little prettier today, and you played a role in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog - I hope you don't mind but I have nominated you for A Lovely Blog Award, more details can be found here http://thenostalgiaexchange.wordpress.com/ thank you for all your lovely posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautifull pics! A very lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got to spend some time in CT! Can't wait to hear more about the class you're thinking about teaching in Nov-I missed your last one and am dying to learn from you! Have any scoop yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, all the odors and I can feel the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoooof! Those colors pack a punch! Lemon verbena.... THAT'S what I forgot to plant in my herb garden this year! I knew there was something. Gorgeous scent, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. AMY WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO WRITE A BOOK YOUR WORDS SLAY MEEEEEEEEEE K THX BYE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This must be Lsach or her apple correspondent iSach. NO FOOLIN ME.

      Delete
    2. i put in my password and this popped up. "LS" "anonymity" HAR HAR
      ps i love you

      Delete
  15. Very nice flowers! thanks for sharing the blog.I wish you to post the new updates regularly.

    Breakfast Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  16. your blog is so beautiful, you inspire me so much to live a beautiful life

    ReplyDelete
  17. Military Challenge Coins
    i just love to your blog you uploaded really hd pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing, really excellent info. Your blog is really cool. I bookmarked this and may come back again.

    car glass replacement

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very fresh vegetables in the pictures.It is quite interesting.I want to share about the you tube views through your blog.Keep update the blog.

    Get Youtube Views

    ReplyDelete
  20. “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi to all,I am new person to the blogging stuff.The pictures in the blog really amazing.I want tot share about the instagram.For more info:Buy Instagram Followers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post. I really enjoyed this such a great information. It is very useful & informative for me. Than you so much. Keep sharing on.

    grease oil collection

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi to all,I am new person to the blog.Nice arrangement.Keep good work in the blog.
    Buy Youtube Views

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am new person to the blogging stuff so i do not have any idea to express my thoughts over here. Please share more information on your post.

    free wallpapers

    ReplyDelete