July at home

Untitled
If you can't tell by my older and wiser but still young and relatable communication skills, I've had a birthday since we last spoke in earnest. While we're being real, I've missed you. And I've missed my ability to write stories for you. It was poor form of me to ignore you for so long, than bam! I'm teaching a class that your should sign-up for without a hint of a whisper of a hello in between. 

But sign up you did. I was blown away that a class in rural New Hampshire could have sold out in a day, and speechless and touched by your excitement. Although I'm not sure it could possibly match my own. The class will truly be the highlight of my summer and sometimes I wish I wasn't the teacher because I want to take it so badly. We are all students, no?
truck1
IMG_5645
Untitled These flowers came home to Brooklyn from Elmwood's garden last month. There was a single week with peonies, foxglove, columbine, Japanese dogwood, old fashioned roses and poppies. I thought my heart would explode. It did, a few days later, in the manner of a past prime rose with beetles and chewed leaves and petals falling every which way. 

My summer city days are just a stopover in between Elmwood visits. I'm surviving brutal Brooklyn with the help of a old black pick-up truck, $2 fruit popsicles, Frankie Zmetra and a precariously perched AC unit at the studio. I'm consuming heavy doses of internet and fish tacos, because both are in short supply up north. I'm shaking and serving over ice. Repeated as necessary.

30 comments:

  1. You inspire me to become a lil' gardener myself. :)
    Fish tacos? Yes please!
    Eat Cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you update it makes me so happy, and then I get sad that our building is in a concrete jungle part of Chicago, with no access to a garden, even one of the balcony variety. Soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such beautiful photographs and words, as always, Amy! We do hope you'll be visiting us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we had the weather here so that I could say to myself to cool down with something icy, but for now I've just live through the summers of talented people as yourself. This is stunning, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photographs. I wish I could take your class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday, Amy.
    Beautiful photos, gorgeous flowers (I miss peonies), and wonderful, warm words! Would love to take your class some day, your arrangements leave me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always such beautiful pictures :) And a happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and am always happy when I see you have posted something new! I sure do wish you made house calls! I've been timidly trying my hand at gardening - Coastal Maine can be tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for writing because you have been missed! Love soaking up words about summer flowers and travels to Elmwood. Hope to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live for your photos. Breathtaking everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speechless, you are a true talent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such amazing flowers. so inspired every time i read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kind of amazing how things work out. Maybe this is a way to get closer to your brother again! Your class sounds awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated Happy Birthday then! Your flowers are always gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super!!! Your flowers very very beautiful!!
    I like peonies very!

    ♥♥♥
    http://blondeandvanilla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Generally speaking, in life, if you're not obsessed with peonies, there is something very, very wrong with your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Remember how much you love the landscape of Washington? Well, if I was eating a fruit popsicle right now, I'd be turning blue. No hot days of summer here! (All in the name of preserving the beautiful, green, lush foliage. ;-)

    Those flowers are superb--I hope to get a glimpse of the class via your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty. What is the giant pink flower with the outrageously large yellow pistils?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those flowers are sooooo beautiful! Looking forward to seeing photos of your class at Elmwood!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought I heard a tinge of "another year older" in your writing voice! Happy Birthday to a gal who really knows how to blend words, flowers and a general sentiment of "ain't life grand" to this little blog space. I read your blog and then I tell myself go pick a flower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice xx :))


    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

    http://www.saversclub.us/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Of course all those people signed up! The photo's were wonderful and if it was a bit closer to where I live, I would have signed up too! :) And again some amazing, sunny photo's! It makes me feel sunny too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a beautiful blog! :)

    xxx Marianne

    http://pictureme-m.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh hang in there :) i totally understand how you feel. the heat here in athens has been unbearable and the only thing i can think of is getting on the ferry and staying on an island until this season is over!

    ReplyDelete
  25. best online florist "Splendid arrangement ! Can you tell me a little more about the foliage which you used ?"

    ReplyDelete