Paperwhites


Three facts are deeply ingrained in my conscience right now. #1. Today is January 16th. #2. January 16th is squarely planted in winter, not spring. #3. Spring is decidedly less snowy and bitingly cold.

But by some miracle of science and nature, my body has been fooled into thinking otherwise by the intoxicatingly sweet smell of paperwhites. Earlier in the week, I bought some spring flowers at the market to give to a dear friend and the leftovers have made me loose all sense of time and place.








I took lots of photos of the multitude of miniature arrangements we made, but even more beautiful was the wild mess we were left with when it was all said and done. There is something totally decadent about doing a photo shoot in your house. A sense of urgency. Wilted flowers find their way to the floor with stems and leaves and bits of fabric. When will the light change? What little thing would be perfect to sit next to the vase? Quick, heat up the iron to get out that distracting wrinkle in the fabric. Ahh! Where did I put my clippers in this flower squalor?

As the sun sets, the urgency reaches fever pitch. The shutter clicks continuously, hoping for one last shot and then poof! No more. You sit on the bed and offload, overwhelmed. Then you look up at scene of the crime and remember to snap one more because the mess is just about as pretty as a picture.

31 comments:

  1. So beautiful...I always love yout pitures but you outdone yourself with these. They make me want to have spring arrive right NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exquisite. been waiting patiently for mine to bloom so a similar scene can unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That final tableau image...exquisite. Perfection. Took my breath away, so painterly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful...i was tricked into the same springy feeling last week by a bunch of pale pink hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree, the last photo is by far my fav.
    It's like a beautiful still life painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your photos, and I am smitten with the little spotted cup the paper whites are nestled in. I must confess that I just found your blog the other week, and I compulsively read the whole thing back over the course of two days- it's a great collection of thoughts and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love paperwhites... mine folded

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow, I take for granted the exquisite pictures here on Apple a Day. I guess I assume they just appear out of nowhere. ;-) Like Google Images has all these treasures just waiting for you to use. From here on out, I resolve to purposefully enjoy each and every photograph--because they are always truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pictures!!!!! Great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it!!!
    I know that frantic dash as the light disappears!
    These photos are absolutely stunning.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Flower squalor"!!! Points for juxtaposition and the slant rhyme.
    Pretty painterly photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's exactly how I picture you house to be: littered daintily with flowers and odd bits of lace :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful writing, beautifully illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A spring nature morte with lots of thoughts and care. Well done, it works beautifully !

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...Just love.

    ...Blessings... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE these photos! They are beautiful. I can't wait until they appear in my garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ugh so pretty thank you.! I clicked on this right away .. its so soothing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my - these photos are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You totally stole my post idea, and took better pictures of your paperwhites than I took of mine.

    Just for that, I'm going to point out that you spelled "decadent" wrong.

    Ha! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love paperwhites!!! ah, the smell - it fills the room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love paperwhites--their shape and smell are the sleepy, cold, first few days of the New Year to me each year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such beautiful photos
    Such wondrous words

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your pics. Can't wait for my paperwhites to bloom.
    xo!
    Alexandra
    www.alexandragrecco.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That last photo ... wow wow! What a beautiful vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Came to visit from Erin's. Lovely photos. Loved your description of the frantic photo shoot. It's a gift to be able to describe those thoughts and emotions. I wonder if my local florist still has pw bulbs? I think I'll ask.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That last one is so lovely! Like a Dutch still life!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Paperwhites are the best. You can conjure up that great smell just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete