Stenelux


My favorite stumbled upon surprise in Amsterdam was a little natural history shop called Stenelux. We had just done some wandering in museumplein and I was pretty drunk on dutch master's still lives (even if the Rijksmuseum didn't have it's full collection on view). The bugs in those paintings are incredible so to find ourselves in this little shop felt like a perfectly natural transition.

















I couldn't help myself and had to buy some little friends. On the US customs form they specifically ask if you are carrying insects into the states. Um, no sir? I spent the whole 10 hour flight irrationally worried my bugs would be seized.

Now they're sitting on my mantel still in their display boxes because funny enough, I'm scared to touch them.

15 comments:

  1. that shop looks fantastic! wish i could find the equivalent of that in the states. incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am absolutely in love with your blog, you have some mad photography here :) really unique stuff! ...the bugs are a little creepy tho :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonder what would've happened had you carried on a bird...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really lovely blog! I am now a new follower, waiting to see what else is in store!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they still use one of those slidey credit card machines, you hardly ever see them anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find! I fancy one of those parrots...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amy, I do hereby volunteer to be your toucher- of-bugs.

    I'm so glad your back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you enjoyed this shop, I wandered into Evolution NYC a few months ago and it seems very similar! Find their website here:
    https://theevolutionstore.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt a disturbance in the force. Must be from when you upset the balance of our ecology by smuggling those bugs in.

    Id be scared to touch them too...bugs freak me out, even dead ones!

    glad you made it back safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. coveting your sphinx moth.
    seriously.

    (and if it makes you feel any better about dead aminals in your house, my mom used to put whatever poor passerines our barn cats murdered in our extra FREEZER. you know, just in case we wanted to bring them into science class. or do drawings. but it was always a little disruptive if un-farmy house guests went out back to get the ice cream and encounter a frozen-solid bluebird or the golden wing of a pheasant.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. magical! Your posts are making me want to go to Amsterdam right now. I'm glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. another similar (but not so fantastically olde) is paxton gate in san francisco. plenty o' taxidermy, bugs and ephemera. sometimes i get a little creeped out in there if i start thinking too much! :)

    http://www.paxtongate.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That shop is like a non-evil Borgin & Burkes! Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. second on evolution, tho it is always so nice to look at objects picked up during one's travels ...

    ReplyDelete