More from Amsterdam


One of my favorite things in Amsterdam was watching a demonstration of historical methods for making oil paint at the Rembrandt House. I could have stood and stared at little pots of pigment all day long.

We did a lot of wandering in Amsterdam, even if the weather turned to winter outside. The ground was frosty and our noses were definitely pink. We would wander until our fingers were numb and then we'd tuck inside for a beer or to explore a pretty flower shop, anything to give us a chance to rub our hands together.












The flower shops were the best and there were loads of them, on practically every street. Big buckets of berries and branches, the Dutch seem to follow the rules of seasonality more than their American counterparts.

Looking in the windows of houses, it seemed like everyone had a vase full of amaryllis or big, wild tangles of rose hips. You could find the most beautiful, messy branches of climbing rose hips at even the little flower stalls on the street corners. Amsterdam really understands flowers so I felt right at home, frostbite or no.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, all of your pictures are making me want to take a grand European vacation. These ones most of all- I want to go to flower shops and drink beer and wander 'till my nose turns pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my, what amazing photos! looks like a wonderful trip (i just went through all your previous posts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rembrandt, beer, and peonies...what more could you ask for? Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A FAB BLOG... so happy I found you. It looks like you have alot of great tips...I’m having a GIVEAWAY...pop on over...all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the pictures you take, and the trip that you sisters are having. I feel as if I have been able to share a virtual vacation just by looking at these.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your lovely photos. Love your photography and your style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, the flower shoppe makes me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo of the pigment pots is absolutely gorgeous! I am so enjoying your blog. What an exciting life you lead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful. i want to go just for the flower shops now! thanks for taking us along for your trip:) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, as always! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like you are having a fantastic trip - lovely photos! makes me want to go there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos are gorgeous. Your blog is such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! I love these photos. Really beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun and thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your trip. It's just like taking a mini vacation coming here to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you have paired the photo of the red lampshades with the red flowers, brillant! I hope you spend time in the Jordaan district it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow nice place.., i love to be there.. soon

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your photos. it is like joining you on the trip. The photo of all the red flowers is my favorite. It makes me want to learn to take better photos. It makes me want to go to Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete