The dutch flower auction


One of the main catalysts for this trip was my preoccupation with going to Holland to see the dutch flower auction. Ever since I started working with flowers I've been fascinated with Holland's role in both growing and selling flowers.

For those not intimate with the ways of the floral industry, most of the flowers grown worldwide are flown to Holland to be sold at auction and then flown to their final destination. A rose will be cut in Ecuador then immediately sent to Amsterdam to be sold and then it will be shipped to New York to be purchased by a consumer. It's almost like mecca for florists, although I must admit my idea of floral mecca is closer to a beautiful field of wildflowers.



We went to Aalsmeer to see the auction live and it was incredible. Of course, I liked the old photo displays of growing and selling methods of days past the best.













The flower auction sells 48 million flowers every day. 48 MILLION! EVERY DAY! We got there at 9am, 2 hours after the main event. We couldn't help but laugh that even on vacation I was stressing out about being late for the flower market, a near weekly occurrence around here. As it is in life, so shall it be in Amsterdam.

17 comments:

  1. great post - thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that looks amazing. and plus, tulips are my favourite flowers!

    Elisa

    http://gnya-gnyablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so interesting, i had no idea the floral industry worked that way! fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 48 million flowers a day! how exciting that you were able to go see it first hand...i never knew my flowers visited holland before landing in my supermarket. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I had no idea just how wasteful the flower industry was though, flights in and out of holland just to get them to my florist, makes me feel pretty guilty about the carbon footprint of the flowers in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo I want to go! and those first couple of photos are so beautiful! I bet it smelled heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is wild. I had no idea flowers traveled so far. I went to Amsterdam years ago and didn't have enough time but I still long to go to Haarlem to check out the tulips and windmills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 48 MILLION A DAY... that is sooo hard to imagine. The beauty of it all must have been overwhelming. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness, all those flower miles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! I had no idea.that's long ways for the flowers to travel to and from. hmmm very interesting. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story of this place is incredible and the images are fascinating. Combining travel with the stories of the places your going really makes the experience so much richer. Thanks for letting me travel vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is awesome. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been waiting for this post :)
    Everytime Piet trys to explain it to me i get cross-eyed.

    ReplyDelete