Amsterdam and the thanksgiving miracle


The best thing that happened in Amsterdam was hands down Thanksgiving. The Merrick girls are big Thanksgiving appreciators. The pie, the mashed potatoes, the gravy and the dark meat. It was our first official day in Amsterdam and we were freezing and feeling a bit homesick for a big family dinner.

We had made plans to get together with Pia Jane Bijkerk that night (who is one of my top favorite blogger girls in the world), even though she was in the middle of a mad deadline for her latest book. She hadn't gotten a wink of sleep the night before but she took us out for a surprise Thanksgiving dinner, complete with pumpkin AND pecan pie. Wine was drunk, stories were told. Micha and I left bubbling over with happiness and I think the night really warmed my heart to Amsterdam in a way that none of the other cities had managed. The pecan pie didn't hurt the cause, either.























So we're home now and I've run out of pictures to show, which is very sad as it means the vacation is really over. Sounds like a simple concept to grasp but it's proving tricky. Maybe if I just click my heels?

But really, there are worse places to be stuck than with friends you love and cats who after all these weeks away, still ignore your existence.



10 comments:

  1. Once again, stunning photos and a great post. I'm envious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad for us too - now that your vacation has ended....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. T-GIVS WITH PIA?!
    FREE CHRYSALIS WINDOW SHOW?!

    !!!

    (and I'm saying hmph that your trip is over, too, but am fully confident you'll still provide us with A+ content now that you're home.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey amy i love the butterfly chrysalis thing! where was that??

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterflies were at the Botanic Gardens. They hard turned a little greenhouse into a butterfly conservatory. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly: those stroopwafels are making me very hungry.

    Secondly: I'm fairly sad that you're at the end of your pictures, too- I've been doing some fantastic desktop travelling through you and your gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have too have loved all of your vacation posts. Maybe you could find a way to make traveling and writing about it from your unique perspective part of your career plan. I'm much more interested in your travel type than the glamorous accounts in magazine pages. I for one would love to stand in front of the window with the butterflies more than anything I can think of today. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, I'll be sad to see the trip posts end!:(
    Thank you for taking us along on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh! the butterflies from cocoons are wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. flowerparts@yahoo.comThursday, December 23, 2010

    thank you for posting all your gorgeous amsterdam photos! my husband and i visited friends in franfurt and amsterdam over thanksgiving in 2004...brought back such memories! happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete