Flower gathering


This summer at Elmwood, I almost lost interest in cutting flowers from the garden. I normally march, clippers in hand, through the fields within my first hour of arriving. This year I abstained from clippers for almost a week. I think I needed a vacation from flowers, if you can imagine.



The rigors florist-ing for a living are surprisingly intense. It's physically demanding, emotionally exhausting, stressful and sweaty. Before I started working at Saipua, I assumed flower shop life meant wearing vintage dresses and thoughtfully placing flowers in vases. No ma'am.



It's more like schlepping huge bales of tree branches, hernia inducing glass vases filled with water and covered in condensation, rose thorns and sharp clippers, long days and early, early mornings. Weekend after weekend, from April till October. That is to say, it isn't for the faint of heart.

(Plus gorgeous flowers, an awesome and funny boss, darling assistants, free coffee whenever I want, lots of romantic dudes poking around and hello, the opportunity to create something with my own two hands that brings people undiluted happiness, day after day after day....)


So basically, the sore feet are easily outweighed a million to one. *see, ahem, footnote.

A few days before I had to go back to the city I got my flower mojo back. I just walked around in a trance of New Hampshire happiness, arms full of weeds and flowers, for hours. I filled a house's worth of mason jars and jugs and pitchers, gathered blousy bouquets and whipped up flower crowns with wild clematis vines and garden roses. I went flower crazy and it felt so good.

*That being said, do not attempt to break in clogs during a 13 hour day of arranging. You will not be able to walk without pain for the rest of your natural life.

25 comments:

  1. Ha! I learned the same lesson upon becoming a candyshopgirl a few years ago. Yes there were darling dresses & constant candy consumption, but also 500 pounds (for real!) of candy to carry down to basement storage, nonstop cleaning, supreme patience, and the regret of eating so much candy all the time. But it sure is nice being surrounded by flowers & candy, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your mojo. I worked in a pet store once. I thought I'd play with dogs all day. The job involved more poop than actual animals though, much to my dismay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness. This is my first time reading your blog and I LOVE IT. The pictures are magical and I LOVE FLOWERS. Absolutely stunning.
    I'm so glad I found you out here in this big, vast, world wide web.

    teri at tintedseaglass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m also so happy I have found your blog.

    And made me smile to think that I´m not the only one who has worn the completely wrong shoes to work and thought I´ll never be able to walk again! Lessons learned the hard way;)

    So glad you found your mojo <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, honey - the new shoe syndrome! Having waitressed for more than 15 years, I can SO relate.

    I find that gathering and displaying flowers isn't the grumpy part... it's when they've gone past their prime and started to shed all over the place, and the water in the vase has gone goopy round the edges, and I keep putting off cleaning it up, hoping it will dry up and blow away on its own - ha!

    Helpful hint: If you need to clean a vase that's got mung on the inside, use half a scoop of OxyClean and some warm water - give it a full body soak overnight, and VOILA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...Flower mojo, it's a good thing... :o)

    ...Glad you got yours! Beautiful bouquet!

    ...Blessin's... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous flowers, gorgeous dress

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing as nice as picking flowers! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely photos! Sigh, I can relate...so glad you got your flower mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your flower-bug came back and bit you! Lovely photos!!


    Out of curiosity, were you snapped by The Sartorialist in May? I hadn't looked at his blog for a while so I was going back through the past couple months and bam, I think...maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness its so nice to hear someone else writing about all the hard work that goes on in a florist! I don't think I've had a better work out than heaving buckets of water about or lugging huge boxes of flowers up and down stairs!

    Love your blog, its really beautiful - your wild style is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are beautiful. I wish my flowers looked like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your posts make me fall back in love with my new hampshire..

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you got your mojo back! The flowers are *lovely*!

    ReplyDelete
  15. tell me about it, I had a trip to the podiatrist after trying to break in my dansko's! I relate to all of your floral qualms, from one florist to another!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was danskos that did me in, too! Black and blues all along the tops of my feet. I can't wait for the break in period to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i bought the danskos! i hope they don't break me...see you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow we really were on the same page! even a white dress with tucks:) for the record, i like your bouquet much better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny, right? I really flipped out with happiness when i saw yours. Just my absolute favorite kind of bouquet!

    I gushed about it for 10 minutes straight when I got to work the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These flowers are stunning! I love the pod ones! Gorgeous arrangements. I would love to see some shots of them around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Photos!! ~

    Those are some of my favorite flowers and you captured them SO well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hear hear! I am a floral designer, as well, and it is HELLA EXHAUSTING. People just don't know!

    However, it's so worth it when people love the work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow... those are so beautiful. I love your flowers and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also do not try to break in new oxfords during 3 hours of Sorority rushing. My feet still hate me from that day.

    ReplyDelete