The view from the top


I went for a sunset hike up Crotched Mountain when I was in New Hampshire. It was so incredibly peaceful that even I, who avoids large bouts of total introspection like the plague, had what some might call a moment.

I've talked about Crotched before and I've talked about Betsy before, but it was wonderful to have some time alone with both up there. To commune, if you will.

When I told my aunt the next day about going up Crotched, she mentioned that the previous day had been the 33rd anniversary of Betsy's death. I'm generally not one for cosmic energy, but having unknowingly climbed the mountain where her ashes are scattered on the anniversary of her death, consciously feeling her presence all the while is eerie and wonderful and not soon to be forgotten.

(Please forgive me my use of commune as a verb. I was raised by hippie parents and thus can get uncomfortably new age-y while sentimental.)


13 comments:

  1. Amazing photos. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your "moment". i have had some comparable moments lately. getting more comfortable with them and less skeptical with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible hike you had. All I can say is everything happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool to know without really "knowing". Sometimes you have to simply trust and let your intuition guide you and things turn out right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous photos, looks beautiful. Nice to feel close to someone you still have great love for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet place to be. Very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commune is a verb! Beautiful pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those photos are gorgeous, and the story that goes with them is touching.

    I'm sure you were there for the very experience you had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was raised by a hippie mom too, and I figure if one is going to be sentimental, one may as well be new-agey about it.

    I dropped rather completely out of the civilized world midway through last semester, but now it's summer and I'm very much looking forward to paying proper attention to non-institutionalized forms of beauty. This will definitely include another Red Hook Exploration Jaunt; are you still at Saipua these days?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eternally at Saipua, and gratefully so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful times like these are an indication to me that I am in the right place at the right time. I once had a very similar experience with my grandmother. I'll never forget it. I only really knew her after she had developed alzheimer's but that time at the mountain was different. Amazing to have had this experience...

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's just plain wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magnifique photos, j'adore vraiment ce blog et son originalité.

    Séréna

    ReplyDelete