The mouth of the south


If you read Ginny's blog (and you should!), you know she moved away from New York back home to Atlanta this spring. Utterly heartbreaking and surreal to have Mrs. G.B. Stelling leave, I can honestly say I didn't see her moving out of the city, at least not so darn soon.

Never was there a girl more sincerely and wonderfully romanced by New York. Yes, there were Victorian sofas laced with bed bugs, sweltering, minuscule apartments and rodents of um... unusual size, but Ginny always looked for and found beauty here. In a place where most keep their heads down, she radiated genuine compassion, humor and curiosity and that's something we all can learn from.


A few months back she gave me this group of tiny bottles filled with specimens she gathered at Elmwood on our trip last summer. She had snuck around when I wasn't looking to collect the bits and bobs so I could bring my lady love of a house back to Brooklyn. I cried a few secret tears when I opened it, which is a big feat when it comes to present giving.



Left to right; soil, I wish I could say this is my grandmothers Chanel No 5 but it's actually rotting pond water, tree bark, a wildflower and ashes from a fire I built for the two of us.

Ginny has always reached the upper most boundaries of thoughtfulness and gratitude. She was the one who inspired me to start an apple a day. And by inspired I mean gently pushed. And by gently pushed I mean nagged. Which, by the way, I totally get now.



21 comments:

  1. Wanted to be the first commenter. :) This is the first blog I ever followed, and it still makes me happy to this day. Thanks.

    Peace.

    Brian, your follower from Popcorn Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful friend. Best gift ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have an amazing best friend. specifically, a most unusual & darling ya-ya who collects pond water in old apothecary jars for you because she LOVES you...a friendship that smacks most marvelously of anne shirley and diana barry, which is the very best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. Even as a midlife baby boomer, I love this blog. It's timeless. Glad your friend nagged you; so did my college roommates with me. Friends can be friends regardless of geography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh that's so sweet and so beautiful. I can't imagine voluntarily leaving new york. But I hope she's very happy and wish her and you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I love about your blog. I'm new to blogging and have trawled through hundreds of these things in the last few weeks but yours is just DIFFERENT to anyone else's. Just is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual, thoughtful gift. She's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read both bolgs, but never till now made any connection!

    Both of you enrich my days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gonna start reading her from now on. I liked her attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the most romantic gift a person could have given or received... what a treasure, both gift and giver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, beautiful friend. I feel inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh amy! i just got back from a weekend up in north georgia and saw this sweet post! it made me smile from ear-to-ear, and i hope we can start a letter-writing campaign as soon as i find my stamps!

    what a nice, nice surprise this was :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a stunning and thoughtful gift!
    you are a lucky gal to have someone like that in your circle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is sooooo pretty and romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, hello. So glad to have stumbled upon this. What a sweet and inspiring gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. dear amy-
    i friggin' love your blog. everything about it. such sincerity, wit, and beauty, wrapped up into one succinct package.

    p.s. elmwood is my new favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. What a great gift, and a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the most beautiful and insanely thoughtful gift ever. Woooooow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your blog !!Thank you. They are really great .
    do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Tory Burch
    Christian Louboutin
    Men's Shoes
    Women's Shoes
    New Arrivals

    ReplyDelete