The vacation


I'm back from my 5 day vacation and I've sustained my first minor sunburn (cheeks and nose) of this year. I'm beyond exhausted and feel a little shaky with weird post vacation anxiety. Do you ever come home from vacation and feel like you now need a vacation from your vacation? That's me.



It wasn't all bad though. Actually, 95% was really wonderful. I went to elmwood by myself for the first time. I also read my life in france, bought a silly pair of yellow 1940s floral shorts, napped in the (albeit cold) sun, canoed alone, hiked alone, braved a unheated new hampshire house alone, wore a hole in my favorite boots, petted brimfield doggies, met some sweet new people and ate a great pulled pork sandwich.




The bad part really wasn't so bad (it could have much worse) but it sort of cast my whole trip in a surreal, bizarre, stressful light. But I'm happily home now, in my bed with one of my mean kitties acting almost sweet to me. I haven't offloaded my photos from the trip, so all I have for you are old holga photos from a warmer, happier, more sistery elmwood vacation last summer.

17 comments:

  1. These photographs are phenomenal. Seriously. I am in love! Your vacation sounds amazing. I love to be alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm originally from New Hampshire too and have recently taken to reading your blog. These photos make me very homesick! Re-entry from vacation is soo hard- I just got home from a one day vacation and I'm reeling from it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are phenomenal. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy....certainly a different break away for you because you are a "people" person, but sometimes it does our soul good to have some solitude.

    (As an afterthought from an ignorant Australian oldie....WHAT IS PULLED PORK ? Sounds fascinating)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I have to tell you that that house is pretty much my dream home. Even the setting around it of overgrown grass, a little field and a little trees. Sigh, so so perfect. I hope to see Elmwood myself some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Holga shots make Elmwood seem even more magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek. That sounds scary. You're brave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place! I've often wondered what it would be like to vacation alone. You are so brave! And your life is just fascinatingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh it has been so cold the last days... too bad it wasn't two weeks ago when it was so hot. damn nh. that's how it goes. hope your reentry is smoothing out and well can't wait to see more of the finds of brimfield.

    at least you had my life in france. what a wonderful wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of my vacations leave me physically exhausted, but mentally refreshed.
    Welcome home!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Needing a vacation from the vacation? Yup, I've been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so lush right to the pork pulled sandwich. Have a good weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds absolutely amazing! i'm so excited to travel alone, although ill admit i'm a bit scared. im going to be studying abroad in italy and i'm going alone and can't speak a word of italian hahaha. i know it will be amazing and i loved reading about all your adventures traveling by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so beautiful. I`ve read your other posts about Elmwood too and it seems to be a great place to grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. traveling alone is loverly! adore it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, your photos are amazing!!! would love to take pictures like that. so sorry about the fire, but glad all turned out ok. sounds very very stressful,and not a vacation at all! some day would love to hear more about your photo talents.

    ReplyDelete