An addendum to my last post.

1. Despite my jokey jokeyness, the fire was very scary. Sometimes you write something funny as a coping mechanism. Cause dudes, it didn't feel that funny at the time.

2. Also- just for the record I was wearing jammies. What kind of girl do you think I am?!!


The first night I got to Elmwood, it was dark and gloomy as can be. I walked around capturing it's haunted houseness, something that I rarely get to see as I'm normally there in july when it's hot and full of Merricks.














Everything looked borderline scary and I think I was a bit relieved when night actually fell so I could curl myself in front of the fireplace. The same fireplace that's no longer deemed safe by the fire department to burn fires. Elmwood without a fireplace is just too sad to even comprehend. Sniff.

28 comments:

  1. i am loving these photos! also, congratulations on being the whole living it-gal! i actually opened the first page to your article! it's a lovely photo and a warm and accurate article! yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was very scary at the time. I would have been FREAKING OUT! But you seemed to handle the situation very well. And it did make for a good story in the end... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last photo is so lovely :) I'm still curious what happened exactly to cause an explosion sound and to condemn your poor little fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura-

    There is a crack in the cast iron sides of the fireplace which allowed some sparks through. The sparks ignited a bucket to the side of the fireplace on fire. It had inside some ancient starter logs and some crystal stuff, and it was the crystals that exploded. For a visual....

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/emersonmerrick/4613531129/

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, it's like granny said....
    only light fires with paper, twigs and matches
    petrol
    and funny crystals
    can go off with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems you were pretty much a hero... saving the day and all that...
    glad to hear about the jammies... otherwise.. I was trying hard not to picture the front page of the paper...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful.
    I'm so jealous that those bleeding hearts are still in bloom considering all mine dropped off last week in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lamp photo! Glad you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...That Elmwood is the stuff dreams are made of... :o)

    ...So glad to hear about the jammies. Not that I thought you were that type or anything, and not that not wearing jammies makes you a certain type or anything it's just that...*ahem*, I shut-up now. :o| *hee,hee*

    ...Still glad to hear all is well... Awesome photos too!

    ...Blessings... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are ghostly and super pretty.
    i am glad to hear everything is okay with your home and that you are safe as well! i am always afraid to use the fireplace at my family home for these reasons :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you handled yourself well. Pretty photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the last photo, but that house looks haunted. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful photos with a rather melancholy feeling to them, which makes them seem a bit haunted. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what gorgeous photographs. i have absolutely no idea what i'd do if i was caught in that situation. i'd probably just sit there motionless debating what the heck i should do and then be stuck. i'm glad that you're alright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooh, creepy crawly...that picture with the lamp and the curtains is really beautiful. You guys will have to fix the fireplace, a house like that definitely needs one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh thanks for the explanation! That sounds like it might be repairable though, maybe Elmwood needn't be fireplace-less :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the white curtains, white lamp photo. It is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled across your blog...so glad I did! Your photos are beautiful, and I had to laugh at the fire-blog (scary as it must have been at the time).

    I will definitely be popping back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. well im glad your ok anyhow.maybe you can get a new fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on getting through such a scary ordeal with such aplomb! Beautiful photos (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG i'm so glad you are safe! house fires are one of my worst fears...way to save your house!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've spent an hour or so reading your blog. Just wanted to leave a comment and say I had a wonderful time. Love the old photos, the family stories, the faded flowers, the cats...Looking forward to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. J'aime beaucoup la dernière photo elle est très expressive pour l'ambiance qu'elle dégage.

    ReplyDelete
  24. C'est très réussi et c'est très beau !!!

    Martine

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place! I know a place called Elmwood too. It was the childhood home of Louise Chandler Moulton, and it is now home to one of my teachers from elementary school. A Google search will help you find a poem by Moulton about her Elmwood.

    ReplyDelete