My old man

Tuesday was my dad's 60th birthday and I'm so happy I got to drive down to Maryland to celebrate. Those that know him know he isn't one for parties or presents or fuss, we just wandered the U.S. Botanic Garden and went to Chinatown for dinner.

dad

My dad really amazes me. He's a rare combination of brilliant, witty, humble, honest and articulate. You can be talking in circles for hours about something and he'll just be able to distill it down to single sentence and get right to the heart of it.

People feel immediately comfortable with him. People respect him. People love the heck out of him, myself included. Happy Sixty, dad.

13 comments:

  1. Happy belated to your Dad... My daughter's was Tuesday as well and her Dad would of been 60 the day after Xmas this year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo of him (I assume). Looks like one cool dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a terrific, stunning photo. as lisa said, one cool dude indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww 60 years young! you got some good lookin'parents, miss merrick! wish popa merrick many birthday wishes from the stellings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're lucky to have him and to be able to spend birthdays together. Happy 60th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel very lucky to have met your dad {and mom} and hope to arrange flowers with him sometime. think he has plans june 12th?
    just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well your dad sounds nice.happy birthday to him

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dreamboat! These Merrick Family history posts are really easily the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buon Compleanno Papà Merrick!
    xxx Lara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy very very belated to Mr. Merrick!

    That photo is intense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ames!!!
    I think the photo is an old Polaroid... one in which the chemicals kinda went weird.. either that... or... the young "Old Man's" beard was on fire...

    ReplyDelete
  12. While perusing, I noticed he and I are the same age. I was born on March 25th, and became 61 in 2011. Maybe why we wear lots of old bean and woolrich stuff.

    ReplyDelete