Checking my mail always makes me a little anxious. I know that 96% of the time there's going to be nothing good, or even worse, nothing at all. I've been getting a lot of letters addressed to my ex-boyfriend and I that advertise buying joint funeral plots. Depressing on so many levels.



And yet I watch my mailbox like a hawk. Every Sunday as I automatically reach for my mail key, my heart sinks a little bit when I realize there's not even the tiniest of hope that something wonderful will be waiting inside.



Until something wonderful does turn up. Last week I got a mini surprise sent to Saipua from Christine, a darling kindred spirit who reads An Apple a Day. The envelope had 8 vintage stamps used as postage- in the accompanying letter she explained that each of the stamps was inspired by a post on the blog. Seriously. Some people are so thoughtful, sweet and kind. I'm left in shock, wondering how I've turned into such a self consumed maniac.



The inside she stuffed full with beautiful old photos, an old pullman car ticket and more of the same beautiful unused stamps. I have an idea of who I'd like to send them off to, but I think I've lost my nerve. Best to bide my time till I can figure out a good home for them.





Old stamps feel like little time capsules, almost too precious to use. Maybe I'm still in the puppy love stage, but I'm not ready to part with them. Especially the fox one, that one's all mine. I've been going as far as to call it my preciousssss, which is the highest compliment I can give to anything, living or otherwise.

27 comments:

  1. You are correct. These are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... I can only dream of receiving something so darling. (Actually, I long for ANY kind of mail from an actual person...the only kind I ever get are advertisements from colleges or monthly things about my bank account.)

    This is a true treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful friend you have. The stamps are indeed precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet! and i agree, the fox is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, frame the fox in a tiny shadow box! I have a couple awesome Oregon stamps from the 30s (I think) that I've been meaning to frame for ages.

    See you Friiiiiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frankly, I would keep them all.. omg, vintage stamps are time capsules... a lot of history

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Those stamps are precious, as are you... :o)

    ...Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!

    Even Emily D. looks cute in the old stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, and so incredibly thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's incredible! A wonderful gift in the mail. Handmade gifts are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally smitten with your foxy fox stamp! The amethyst and Emily Dickinson are also quite swoon-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. getting mail is the most exciting thing in the world! That makes me sound so sad but man i just love getting mail! nice stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this post is so sweet, what a lovely piece of mail to receive.

    I was an avid stamp collector as a child, and I remember the amazing joy and love I felt for each stamp. I need to go pull out my collection again!

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are beautiful :) I love pretty stamps too. How nice of her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your sincere words Amy : ) The joy of giving is two-fold. And feel free to use the stamps! There are a lot more where they came from, even Mr. Fox...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn, I was all set to offer you 3 cents for that fox.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an enchanting gift!

    I adore getting real letters with stamps. With all the talk of the post office cutting back on delivery days, I'm thinking it's time to stock up on stamps and start diligently sending off letters and cards again. Save the postal service!

    ReplyDelete
  18. well done christine! but phooey, i had a small collection of stamp treats for you... but she nailed them all! except the fox, i don't think i scored that one at champ stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As the Weasley twins would say (in unison, of course)...

    "Wicked!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. aw man. ginny- your collections of treats are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice stamps, I love the fox one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd say your friend Christine, who gave these gorgeous stamps to you... is as Precioussssss as you are! Even more than fabulous Mr. Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Emerson, you are kindredest of spirits.
    Love,
    Anne of Green Gables

    ReplyDelete
  24. Omg don't use the stamps!! ha, they are just BEAUTIFUL. Does that make us old that we like old stamps, like a stamp collector? I've never thought of myself as interested in collecting stamps, but it may not be such a bad collection after all! I mean really, these are just incredible.

    -julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, it certainly is nice to have ouch turned to ahhh. Your blog flavored with memories does a good job of that for me as well.
    Goodlife.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These flower pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Mouth watering. Magical. I love it. I'm your dad's age ... sounds like somebody I know in fact. The way we were. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! I love snail mail treats, sending and receiving! Real mail is the best especially in these tech times! :D

    ReplyDelete