The church basement

There is a church in New Hampshire that consistently blows my mind with it's basement thrift store. Awesomeness all around, all for 25 cents. I normally make one pilgrimage a year, so this is an annual report of sorts.

the church basement

This year's favorites are as follows.... An Elly May-ish short sleeve shirt, a funny patterned bandana and a polka dot hankie, all from the 50s. I have big plans for the hankie that involve a repurposing it into something a little more, um..... scandalous. Details to follow.

the church basement
The men's section is utter perfection. Flipping through the rack it's like vintage pendleton, vintage ll bean, vintage filson, vintage woolrich on repeat with a smattering of j peterman and ralph lauren. And you wonder why I am the way I am. Sadly, I can only buy so many men's things before I officially turn into a boy, which is not the direction I want to be headed.

That being said, I could not turn away these two wool flannels which are single handedly getting me excited for fall. The gray one has perfectly worn in leather elbow patches and the plaid one, well, it's plaid and awesome.

the church basement
And who on earth was this mysterious "Jeef" who's jacket displays pitch perfect penmanship? I bet his little lady spelled out his name before he shipped off. It's so romantic it makes me wanna cry. And this is the pathetic reason I didn't buy it.

It may take a few months to forgive myself this lapse in normally sound thrifting judgement.

**ADDENDUM**

After some well placed google search terms, I've learned that C.E. Jefferess was actually a commander in WWI who returned to live in Winston, NC. Isn't the internet wonderful?


26 comments:

  1. Oh, what good finds! I love vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our Church had such an awesome thrift store like that! :O

    I bet your going to make Hanties, aren't you? ;)

    I need to find myself some hankerchiefs and make myself some Hanties as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shop at a similar church thrift shop and you never know what sort of vintage treasure you will come upon. I simply love the looking for something that I think I cannot live without. Don't be too hard on yourself over the jacket. Sometimes I have to make myself not buy something because I am running out of closet room... It looks like you did score several wonderful items so you cannot allow yourself to dwell on that jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my sister and i have given up on trying to resist the vtg menswear temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a hantie before! Not quiet what I'm up to, but also worthy of investigating....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Who knew that Christianity's NH basement could be so retro? Great post! I want the pendletons, both please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I ask where in NH this thrift shop is located? Or is that a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh so jealous. i love seeing thrifted treasures, and those are all so great! can't wait to see what you do with the hankie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't buy Jeef's shirt?! Oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous of that plaid flannel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds!
    I used to thrift often until I moved to a college town where it so popular that you rarely find anything neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this sounds great! Right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I live in New Hampshire (ok, kittery Maine but it's the same thing)! I wonder what thrift store/ Church? We have so so many and there are a ton of great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love driving through NH when I get the chance. Where is this basement thrift? =D Awesome blog, btw. I just started following!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love vintage and would be just as geeked out as you are!!
    Next time I go to New Hampshire, I will def. look for this place!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love going to flea markets and vintage stuff. it has so much character.

    charmedwishes18.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Pendelton! I was lucky enough to have a papa with a closet full of Pendelton plaids during my Grunge era in high school. I still have many of my favorites: a dark, green-on-green with wood buttons and elbow patches. I would wear it with my Gap jeans and Doc Martens. How did I ever get a date to the Prom looking like a boy???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooooo fun finds!!! Love the pictures!

    Paulina

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh no! Am I going to feel super awful not telling which one it is? Is that terribly sneaky of me? It's in southern NH and only on saturday mornings between 9 and 12. That is the best i can do for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Church thrift stores are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet you're going to make a gypsy skirt! Well, that's my best guess at least.

    Oh em gee, what great finds. But I'm so curious about Mr. C.E. Jeffress, aka Jeef... I hope things turned out well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love your photographs, be it a slice of pie or a vintage shirt, they make me feel like I'm looking at something from another time..

    http://roseintheslowlane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. i just bought a gingham shirt and polka dot scarf just like those (or very similar). what a great church basement!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    ___________________
    Melvin
    Email Marketing Solutions

    ReplyDelete