Homemade quilts

I've been wanting to make a quilt for about 14 years now, ever since my dad bought me my first antique quilt for Christmas when I was 11.

It's not that I'm a horrible procrastinator or am worried about the sewing, I just love quilts so much that I freeze when trying to decide what to make. A dear jane or a gee's bend? Ack! I want both.


I think I have finally, FINALLY decided on my first quilt. A patchwork of feed sacks that I've collected over the years. It should be quick and painless to put together and I won't have to agonize about picking out colors, which is half the battle.

Funnily enough, most 1930's quilts are made with recycled feed sacks, but with the sweet, floral version of these muslin ones.


If, no, when I finish this quilt, hopefully I'll be emboldened to move to to bigger and better ones. Crazies, yo-yos, postage stamps, oh lord, I'm turning into an old lady with alarming speed.

18 comments:

  1. This is great - have fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been longing to make a quilt too, but am stuck at the colors stage. i can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea! I've been saving up my husband's dress shirts for an eventual quilt as he pokes holes in the elbows or frays the collars, but this is far cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no way, kate! A husband dress shirt quilt is the sweetest and most romantic thing I've ever heard. One day I should be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo hoo, miss merrick! lets have a quilting bee this summer...and maybe you can give me tips on my weddin' quilt ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to make a quilt for years too. I on the other hand am indeed both a horrible procrastinator and worried about the sewing :/

    I LOVE the feedsack idea and WOW that dear jane quilt you linked to is so, so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I can't wait to see the finished result. I love patchwork quilts (I mean, who doesn't??) and I love love love your collection of feed sacks. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, you are full of such good ideas miss merrick! while taking a quick stroll through ebay, I saw this adorable feed sack listing that made think of you! like everyone else has said, I can't wait to see what you whip up! :)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-RED-ROSE-CHICK-STARTER-FEED-SACK-19X36_W0QQitemZ190315385760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4fae53a0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

    ReplyDelete
  10. red rose chick starter? you're speakin to my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome idea! good luck! you should post it along the way up to when you're done. maybe that would motivate you to keep going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just come across your blog and really enjoyed my stay here! Good luck on the quilting. While I can't sew for my life, I admire those with the skill to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a sweet idea!
    love your blog, full of charm and what not :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like the makings of just about the best quilt ever!!! A quilt made of 1930s feedsacks is a dream come true! I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely! I cant wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete