Georgia on my mind

Maybe it was all of the sweet teas (okay, okay they were actually mint juleps) I sipped this weekend, but I was shocked at how slow and easy everything was down south.

In Georgia people are all.... "Want another drink? Yes, ma'am. Help yourself....No one's rushing you..."
This whole sweet, simple, southern thing reminds me of one of my all time favorite reads, The Foxfire Book.

In 1974, a group of Rabun County, Georgia high school students interviewed the elders of their rural Appalachian community and complied an encyclopedia of local lore. Basket weaving, hog dressing, quilting, faith healing, just to name a few....

Not only is the text to DIE for, as the interviews are written phonetically so you can get a grasp of the accents, there's also a ton of practical knowledge and amazing pictures.

This sweet little lady kept on saying how she liked to weave with willar tree branches. Willar tree? Never heard of it....

Oh wait, that's how you'd say willow tree if you were from Appalachia. Got it.



Oh, and the men, they break my heart. Like a real live Loretta Lynn song.





Now I need to find a suitable willar tree in brooklyn so I can practice my basket making. I've got some good local sources for quilting and as for the hog dressing, I think I'll have to wait that one out for the time being.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful. You've prompted me to dig out the one Loretta Lyn album I own too..that's going to be spinning all day today now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and I need to get a date on the calendar, darling! Much to share, and I'm counting on you to make me more industrious on the basket scene...

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I adore your new banner! I look like a ne'er do well comparatively!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a native Alabamian transplanted to the NE via Los Angeles. I never realized how slow things in the south move until moving to LA. Whew! Now that I'm in PA things have slowed down a bit but it's still not the same! I'm glad to see people are appreciating all the charms the south has to offer. I'd give an eye tooth to hear someone say "fixin' to" or "might could" or "over yonder" right about now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a southern lady myself, I LOVE the Foxfire books! My grandparents have the whole set, and I love flipping through them-- thanks for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwwwww, miss merrick, this is where i grew up in the summers!!!!!! lake rabun is my lake house! the branch family was the first to have a house on lake rabun! it's the georgia power lake!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these books.

    To Sally Jane...I'm quite surprised, actually, that you haven't heard anyone talking like that around PA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The branch family is the first and the best in everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah right! i just got overly excited and nostalgic. i am going to have to find an excuse to take you there sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh don't be so modest Ginny! You come from an amazing family, full of such kind hearted people! We are both really so lucky to have such good and hardworking families.

    And yes, I'm taking you to elmwood so we have to find a reason to go to Lake Rabun. I'd love to spend more time in Georgia, I'm kind of obsessed with the south now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where ever do you find these things?

    Sounds amazing. I want a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well there Miss Amy, I shur do lik that there stove picture. I got a hankin' fur one myself.

    Hee Haw...
    Why don't ya drop in and sit a spell?
    Pappy Wood Chuck and I would be tickled pink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you seen the play "Foxfire"? You might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I juts want to say that i randomly stumbled upon your blog, and it is sooo sweet. I love it :) i seriously do. Glad i found this blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmother gave me the set of the foxfire books, and I was obsessed with them forever, they're so interesting! It's such a lost section of society and what life was like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are a whole series of these books and the originals are extremely hard to find. I've been picking one up here or there at flea markets for a while. Ok, so I know this was back in 2009 but I've been going over every inch of your archives and this post has cemented it. You. Best_blogger_EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes, Foxfire!!! My grandma had the whole set in her house! Hopefully my aunt stowed them away when grandma passed away....

    ReplyDelete