By any other name...

I am itching for spring, flat out dying for spring this year. On a warm(ish) day last week I took to my beloved rose garden to see if I could find ANY sign of ANY hint of spring.

This was before the biggest snow storm of this winter, mind you.

I love this rose garden, I come in here every month without fail. I've blathered about it in all seasons, here and here have photographic evidence to boot.

Gardens in winter are almost eerily calm and deserted, except for fat little sparrows trying desperately to find their next meal.

Bramble, thicket, brier. Undeniably a few of my favorite words in the whole world.

And they all seem to fit a rose bush in winter better than they do in summer. Something about stripping off the leaves and just seeing a skeleton of tangled thorns.

With a garden of only thorns, the lonely little black plant markers seem to be the shows main attraction. These names are so darling, it makes me want to get another cat just so I can name it after a rose.




Dainty Bess? Like in Little Women? Circa 1925? That would be one heck of a cute cat name.

Do you guys have any cute ideas for kitty names? Jim and I are going to the pound on Thursday to scope out possible new additions to the family and I want to be prepared with an arsenal of good names.

I've been pushing for a Mabel for months, but I guess it depends on the cat, too.

12 comments:

  1. i love mother mabel! jennyanydot or grizabella the glamour cat. you could call her bella for short, or belle. i think you should t.s elliot...for jimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I too love visiting gardens in the "off" season. If you love BBG, you must visit Wave Hill up in Riverdale (http://www.wavehill.org) if you haven't yet ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I so agree with you. I am in full winter protest. However, I love these photos of the BBG. Very nice! I like Frankie for a cat name

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wave Hill looks amazing, I've never even heard of it!

    Jimbo and I did read through snippets of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats last night. I was a fan of Skimbleshanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *giggles* my dog is called Mabel! And she is the sweetest, most chilled out dog ever. So I think the name alone will be shure that a cat bearing that name with be just as sweet as my dog.

    I also like fish names for cats, like Kipper, Herring or Salmon. I think ironic names are good for pets, like in the cartoon "Little Bill", his hamster was called Elephant. Pretty genius if you ask me.

    (Ugh, long comment, sorry! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. skimbleshanks is one of my faaaaaaaaaaaaavorite songs. you need to google the snl broadway skit "save broadway" or "the show must go". it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name Althea...I had an adorable kitten with that name, until she became Alfie...due to his/her new found below-the-belt masculinity! (He really did look like a girl for a while!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruby. nell. nellie. mae. delilah. mattie. gertie. jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mabel is a great name for a cat. I like Agatha too. My boy cat is called Frank and it suits him down to the ground. There's a cat down the road called Nigel, which I thought was an odd name at first but it's grown on me. Good luck finding and naming your kitty! Love the blog x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ginny and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to names!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't visited your blog in (apparently) ages, but want to shout a big Yay for Mabel mentions! We're having a little girl in October and her name is going to be Mabel Davis. When we share that with people, the next comment is inevitably "Oh! I hear old fashioned names are coming back."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this comment is months behind but we have a boy cat named Mae. We also have a Beatrice, an Ernest, a Lenny and an Agnes. Old names are the nearest and dearest.

    ReplyDelete