A girl's best friend

Nearly 100 years ago, my beautiful great grandmother Tina had this poster sized picture snapped in Fargo, North Dakota. The best presents under our tree this year were full sized copies for all. I can't wait to find her a good frame.

She was a gentle, elegant soul and almost completely deaf. And she smelled like gardenias, as my mother remembers.

Her husband E.J. started the very successful (and still operating!) Fargo Glass and Paint Co in 1917 that subsequently provided her all of the huge feathered hats and diamond rings a girl could ever want.

Family legend has it that Tina never particularly liked this picture because it didn't properly showcase her 17" waist. Her corseted waist, mind you. T'was a different time.

My friends will recognize the little bit of Tina that sparkles on my right hand everyday, without fail. It's been handed down in our family from woman to woman and I am so proud to be a part of her ranks.

14 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Your great-grandmother must have been stunning in real life! And the ring is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle has a photo of my great (great?) grandmother. She was a beauty, too. So interesting to look back on a person from history and who is also a part of your genetic history. I am always fascinated by that.

    And some day, will our great, great grandchildren look back on photos of us and feel a connection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing to have and a great story. Do you note a scent of gardenia when you wear the ring? What other tales of their lives do you have? Oh, and the garden. You darling thing. No space there for you I guess? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the most wonderful stories you share about your family. I think it is such an amazing thing that you are so connected to all of them . . . I know so little about my ancestors and there are even fewer mementos/pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so pretty - to the picture and the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture--and I love that you wear the ring every day. What a nice way to stay connected to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some really good stories about her, too! I'm just waiting for some photographic evidence to tell them.... HINT- they involve glitter and Sioux Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, all of it! I love looking at the old photos from my grandparents and beyond. That's a lovely bit of history you have as well... maybe I should ask my mom for one of my inherited pieces so it doesn't hide under a pile of sweaters between special occasions :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fabulous hat, imagine wafting around wearing it. iwant one! lucky you to have such a close and stylish family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story... a real tribute to your beautiful grandmother and to Fargo. I am an artist, working at Gallery 4, downtown Fargo. I collage and also do digital artwork. I love especially to use vintage ephemera! That is how I stumbled across your blog.... always looking for inspiration, so thankyou. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. She was incredibly stunning! (And apparently very lucky too!) I'm in love with her clothing...I definitely wish we still wore clothes like that.

    ReplyDelete