Finally a bloom!

After a botched first attempt at paperwhites (which in a well meaning gentleman bought me daffodil bulbs instead of paperwhites by mistake. So sweet!) I'm thrilled to have something in bloom chez moi.

A few weeks ago I potted up my first amaryllis bulb, in honor of my grandpa. Family legend has it that my grandmother gave him a bulb before she died and dear old grandpa took extra care with it and it's rebloomed every Christmas since she passed away, over 18 years ago.

This one surprised me a bit, as it was tagged to be an all white, feathery variety but ended up being pink and white striped. The candy cane of bulbs.

*And not to worry, the imposter paperwhites have since been replaced with the real thing.


  1. It's so pretty! congrats on your bloom, mine don't seem to be doing as well. If only I had my mothers green thumb.