"Rolling Homes"

For the last of the pillaging my mother's book shelf series may I present "Rolling Homes", the crowning jewel of hippie books in my mom's collection.

Mind you, I don't actually own this book yet. It can get pretty pricey on some of my trusty sources ($125, are you kidding me?) but there is one ending soon on eBay today and if any of you outbid me, I'll never forgive you.

Published in '79, it surveys the hippie phenomenon of wandering homes converted from pickup trucks, school buses and big rigs.

My favorite, the hitched Conestoga wagon trailer with removable ceiling, perfect for all your stargazing needs.

Half gypsy, half Laura Ingalls Wilder, I would die to take one of these on a roadtrip.

Now I've never been one for trailer living but I think I could easily handle this parked in the New Hampshire woods for the summer. Add a little porch, Victorian gingerbread trim, and of course a woodstove, I might even extend my stay through fall.

Curbside living? A real possibility, considering New York's looming "great depression". If next you see me I'm covered in saw dust and wearing tie dye, don't panic. I'm escaping the housing crisis and building my own rolling home.

17 comments:

  1. i know this isn't what this post is about but i just read the domino article and all i want to do for the rest of my days is make terrariums! you are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had that book too! I love every single picture in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god! I LOVE this! My husband and I drove cross-country in a Volkswagon van last year and I started to feel like it was my moving home - these would have been much more roomy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. The tinker in me is very drawn to these carts. How simple life would become.
    P.S. You can rent one in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you so much for the heads up! I am doing my own search for this book now. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..I've lived in a souped up van or two in my life (from the sounds of things, I think my family would have fit right in with your family, lol), but I would have been in heaven in one of those! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These house are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. way cool. the top picture is at the columns - a climbing area in eugene, oregon. unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is a REALLY late, post, but have you checked out tumbleweedhouses.com?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're not picky about buying a used book, look at the ones listed here: http://product.half.ebay.com/Rolling-Homes_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ4605797

    They seem to be fairly reasonable in price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello.. Firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more often. In my personal experience I might mention a book called Green Parks Costa Rica in this book that I mentioned have very interesting topics, and also you have much to do with the main theme of this article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there!
    That's my conestoga wagon- the one attached to the old green 52 dodge truck. (top two photos) built this in the 70's and cruised up to British columbia, stopping in Eugene on the way, where I met Jane by the side of the road.
    Those were great old days, indeed.

    ReplyDelete