My mad scientist

At grandpa's memorial this weekend I came across some old photos of his brilliant scientist days.
Loving the white lab coat, grandpa. (that's him, front and center, as always!)

He developed these amazing foamy rooms. If you ask me what they're used for I'll deliver a well rehearsed speech using words like radio waves, stealth technology, naval research lab, NASA and submarine.

Truth be told, the science gene wasn't passed on like it should have been and I don't really know what I'm talking about. Wikipedia has apparently knows about his so called Anechoic chambers so all you smarties can fill me in on the basics.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Emerson - I'm a former schoolmate of Ginny Branch's and I found your blog through hers. I'm really enjoying it!

    Your grandpa must have been brilliant! I have actually been inside an anechoic chamber once. I studied music in college, and my freshman year music theory instructor took us into the one they had on campus. It was really amazing - you could clap or snap and the room was just totally dead. What would have echoed got completely absorbed into the foam. We stayed silent in there for a while so we could adjust to the silence - the closest to true silence any of us would probably ever get - and we could hear the frequencies our bodies produced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super freaking cool. I want one of those chambers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear one,
    rumor has it that we may see each other for dinner tonight with the Frances. I really hope so. If not, let's plan the next adventure (close to home or otherwise). XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, neat! And any friend of Ginny is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, that things looks crazy! Emerson, can we see more pictures of your lovely apartment? I can't get enough of the pictures of your kitchen, you've even inspired me to rip up my floors. Though my boyfriend found out and has been keeping a close eye on me to make sure I don't do so on a whim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I've been a bit lazy on the homekeeping front. Shh... don't tell!

    ReplyDelete