Awash in Brooklyn

9:30 am on a bitterly cold Sunday morning found me elbow deep in muck, like a real respectable adventurer. The quarry was a century's worth of washed ashore treasure along Dead Horse Bay in Floyd Bennett Field.

A small group, organized by a fearless leader, plundered and pillaged the old bottles, shoe soles and general detritus of elder generations until frost bitten fingers seemed inevitable.

One may wonder why this is the only beach in the city that specializes in antiques instead of the usual Coney Island fare of cigarette butt's and loose Cheetos? Just ask the resident expert.

A real life terrarium. Complete with baby crab specimen.

Scrubbed and bleached, back at home. I've always been a sucker for milk glass and old ceramics.


I can hardly believe these tea cups managed to not break after being thrown away and then rolling around the bottom of the bay for 70 years. Guess they don't make em like they used to.

These have the most beautiful aged cracks. My deco vase looks like an old sea shell, fitting for something that literally washed ashore in a cloud of sea foam.

And I can't forget the namesake bottle.

I'll be heavily haunting this place for many a low tide come warm weather. It seems as though my little storage problem is going to be getting much bigger.

24 comments:

  1. (before) to grammys house I goWednesday, November 26, 2008

    There aren't more
    things've moved to shore
    than beautiful words
    found in the lines one
    to clicks back.
    "shoe...indeed" and
    each other combination found
    in cells in elegant line
    (I wait for next bird day time...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure hunters fantasy complete with frozen fingers.

    I LOVE the way you write and capture the world.
    I love how you find STUFF and see the beauty within it.

    Ralph Waldo Emerson states:
    "The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraclulous in the common"

    You follow this great man in how you perceive and picture.

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what an amazing place! The treasures you rescued are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have the most amazing posts!
    I wish I was as awesome as you

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I've been meaning to go there for months! I'll have to make a trip soon!!! Egg salad sandwiches, sea salt chips, and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a beautiful collection! This magic seaside has me and roommates daydreaming about visiting this beach! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! everything you have found its beautiful! i'm so jealous that we dont have things like that "adventure/explorer/scavenging group type thing - OR even finding anything remotely that cool that old... :( I am green (lime green) with envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, can't believe you found all those in that muck! What a treasure hunter you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way. I am so jealous. What beautiful treasures. I would love to find such a place to treasure hunt near my home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is RAD! I'm going to have to get out there. And I'm so glad I found your blog - I happen to click on it from "My Favorite Color is Shiny"

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing... it's like taking sea glass collecting to the next level! I wish Chicago had something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you. are such a badass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How amazingly beautiful! I found you via the beautiful http://www.blissfulb.blogspot.com/ and I am so happy I did! Wonderful....
    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO COOL. I would LOVE to do something like that!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is wild!! I love your collection and the story is awesome. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. how wonderful! I can't believe you found those tea cups...I wish I could visit that place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love the explanation as to why these gorgeous things wash up at this particular spot. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Danielle- Here's another link to the website I mentioned in the post!

    http://www.brooklynrail.org/2007/07/local/outer-borough

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my goodness - this is unreal. Total beachcomber's fantasy.

    You wouldn't be willing to part with the super-secret directions for this bottle-lusting Brooklynite, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenna,

    Just google dead horse bay. It's a pain in the ass to get to by public transportation, so pack a lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It will be my birthday in the morning. And I really wish you would send me a little box of old pieces of bottles. Please! lol

    ReplyDelete