The Lady's Book.

One of my most prized possessions is a Godey's Lady's Book from 1840. The lady's book is one of the first American women's "magazines" and features poems, songs, articles and it's famous hand painted color fashion illustrations.



I just can't over the fact the each of these illustrations are hand painted.

I love seeing the small variations between things like these two sleeves and how subtle they seem but how they must have represented different personalities.

And that blue apron is so cute. Looking through these is so inspiring, it's like a recharging of my creative battery from 168 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have a Godey's, but it is a pattern book of designs, including aprons. The illustrations are not as lively as in your Godey's - black pen and ink renderings - in keeping, I think with the Victorian era itself. Your book is a real treasure! Please visit my blog - I just posted about a blue apron, as cute I think as the Godey blue!

    EllynAnne
    Tie One On...an apron, of course!
    www.apronmemories.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at a lot of "magazines" like this when I worked on my undergraduate thesis! Most of the ones I checked out were from Georgia or South Carolina (I was writing about Southern women, mostly)-- aren't they fantastic? Lots of random poems and funny one-liner jokes. Jealous you've got the real thing.

    ReplyDelete